Enterprise Steamer Company, No. 2

The Enterprise Steamer Company was organized on June 11th 1872, when the Button steam fire engine was purchased by the village trustees. The late Thomas W. Bradley was active in organizing the company and was its first foreman. The company started with 16 charter members and during the month of June, 37 new members were added to the rolls of the company. The Enterprise Steamer Company their 125th anniversary in 1997.

Enterprise Hose Company

With the “Steamers” now going ahead actively, an auxiliary organization was formed called Enterprise Hose Company and 14 members of the Steamers were assigned and detailed to the hose company.

Enterprise Hose Company was continued as an auxiliary of the Enterprise Steamer Company with varying fortunes while the growth of Walden was making a considerable increase. In 1884 Chief Engineer J.R. Hays called a public meeting in Scofield Hall as a result of which the auxiliary was dissolved and two additionally companies, Fearless Hook and Ladder Company and Orange House Company were organized. At the same time, the firehouse was enlarged to accommodate these two new organizations.


In 1884, Chief J. R. Hays called a public meeting in Scofield Hall to discuss the advisability of furnishing more fire protection. The result of that meeting was the formation of the Fearless Hook and Ladder Company and the Orange Hose Company. About this time the firehouse on Walnut Street was enlarged the new organizations. The original building was erected in 1884.

The Fearless Hook & Ladder Company, No. 1 was organized on June 4th, 1884. There were forty-six charter members. From this body of men the following were selected to office: J. D. Sloat, Forman; J.D. Parrett, First Assistant Foreman; D.L. Millspaugh, Second Assistant Forman; M.F. Hulslander, Secretary; J Sears and A.K. Wade, Representative. The first truck purchased came from Rumsey Company and was in service for twelve years.

Fearless was always a drill company and one of the highlights of its history is the fact that in 1905 it was invited to go to Syracuse , NY and put on a famous drill at the New York State Fair. The company, accompanied by the equally famous Walden Drum Corps, spent a solid week at Syracuse and from all the accounts, a good time was had by all. The “Hooks” have always been an up and coming company and our reputation is hard to beat.

Since our early days, the members of the company have had a great influence on and contributed much to the volunteer fireman service. In 1914, Chief Michael J. Hanna assisted in organizing the Maybrook Engine Company. Past President Alvin Zupp served as President of the Orange County Volunteer Firemen’s Association in 1951, followed by Past Chief Bertrum Foote in 1983.

For the past 125 years, the members of the Hooks have been active in and supportive of our community. Our members serve as Little League coaches, Cub Scout leaders, are members of the VFW, American Legion, Rotary Club, Walden Community Council, and many others.

From the beginning and looking towards the future one thing will always remain the same, they are “forever fearless”


Orange Hose Company, No. 1, the second of the two companies to come out of that meeting, was organized June 13th, 1884. Orange Hose has always been up to date being noted in their first days as always being the first no matter what happened. A story is told by the old timers in our Village of a night when, during a formal dance being held at Wooster Hall, the fire alarm went in and within minutes, away went the Orange Hose – dress coat tails standing out straight behind as they galloped down the street pulling the old four wheeled “crab” For many years after this, Orange Hose was known as the “silk stocking” company.

W. G. Rutherford was the first President of the Company. The first line officers were: Foreman, James N. Stephenson; First Assistant Foreman, Edwards Whitehead; Second Assistant Foreman, Dr. W.H. Faulkner; Secretary, C.H. Bishop; Treasurer, W.D. Stevens.

Their parade carriage, purchased from the Rumsey Company short after the organization, was for years a thing of beauty and a joy to the Orange Hose men. It is said that they took more care of it than their wives. They must have made a wonderful showing when they went on parade in their original uniforms, consisting of heavy white shirts with a monogram of the company in a shield, blue pants and a cap, with a wide leather belt (tan) held together with a buckle in the shape of a hose connector. Orange Hose also purchased the first motorized apparatus in the village - A hard wheel Mach. This gave way to a Bulldog Mack.

There is a story connected with the Colden Street Fire (City of Newburgh, NY). When Orange Hose reported for duty, Newburgh’s water supply was getting low and they were not getting the water up on a hill to where they needed it. Someone told the Orange Hose crew to go down to the river. They hooked up and soon had all the water they needed. Apparently the Newburgh Fire Department forgot that they were there and while the Salvation Army and Red Cross were handing out warm clothing, sandwiches and hot drinks, Orange’s men had to go up the street and borrow money from a stranger to buy some coffee for the crew.

There have been some humorous incidents during fires. When both Enterprise Steamer and Orange Hose pulled their carts there was a great rivalry going to see who would put “first water out”. As the story goes, both companies were legging it north on Montgomery Street heading for a fire on Wait Street when a member of the Steamers saw them coming and went to the nearest hydrant to wait for them. As they came closer he saw Orange Hose was ahead. Thinking quickly he picked up a barrel lying nearby, slipped it over the hydrant, sat on it, and gaily waved to Orange Hose as they went by looking for the hydrant. When the Steamers Came along, off came the barrel, the coupled on and had “first water on.”

Over their entire 125 year history, the members of Orange Hose still strive to this day to be the first on the scene and the last to leave.


On July 23rd, 1900, the Rock Hill Rose Company was formed to protect the West side of the village of Walden. The new fire station was located adjacent to the High Bridge On March 26th, 1903 Rock Hill Hose Company changed its name to honor Col. Thomas W. Bradley.

On March 15th, 1904 it was approved to build a new firehouse on North Montgomery Street, at the bottom of Wait Street. In November 2011, Col. Bradley Hose Company was relocated to the main firehouse on old Orange Avenue.

Emergency: 911  or  000.000.0000     Non-Emergency: 000.000.0000